• The Autism Society of the Mid-South’s efforts are focused on
• meaningful participation and self-determination in all aspects of
• life for individuals on the autism spectrum and their families.
• The ASMS promotes individual, parental and guardian choice to
• assure that people on the autism spectrum are treated with dignity
• and respect.
• The Autism Society proactively informs, influences, guides and
• supports legislation that will improve the lives of all affected by
• The ASMS is a respected voice of the autism community and the
• primary source for information by providing timely, frequent,
• relevant and professional communication.
• The ASMS works to ensure that every member is successful with
• support group meetings and community outings.
• The ASMS advocated for multi-disciplined approaches to autism
• research focused on improving the quality of life for individuals
• across the autism spectrum and their families
• The ASMS works to ensure financial self-sufficiency and growth
• to enable us to continue to help all those affected by autism.
The growing membership base of the ASMS encompasses a broad, diverse group of parents, family members and professionals. Recognizing and respecting the diverse range of opinions, needs and desires of this group, the ASMS embraces an overall philosophy that chooses to empower individuals with autism and their parents or caregivers to make choices best suited to the needs of the person with autism. Providing information and education to help in decision-making are more highly regarded at the ASMS than is advocating for one particular theory or philosophy.